The particular charm of Stage 3 is the feeling it gives of moving from the leafy suburbs to the open countryside. It does this by sharing, for much of its length, the route of the Ladybrook Valley Interest Trail. This provides lovely riverside walking from Cheadle Village via beautiful Bramhall Park and Hall to the rural setting of Middlewood station.
Length: 9.8 miles / 15.8 km
Grade: Moderate (because of its length)
Start: East Didsbury (Metrolink or rail)
End: Middlewood (rail)
- Cheadle village with its pretty church and graveyard
- The riverside path beneath Cheadle Viaduct
- Bramall Hall: a black and white-framed Tudor Manor House set in 70 acres of parkland
- A glimpse of lovely Poynton Lake
- ‘Happy Valley’ nature reserve
- The sylvan glades of Norbury Hollow
The full route can be easily broken at either Cheadle Hulme or Bramhall rail stations, though the latter has only a limited service on Sundays. Note that there are currently path diversions (as of summer 2016) due to construction of the Manchester Airport Relief Road, which may necessitate permanent route modifications in future.